Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Coop Progress and Veggies in the ground.

Our life seems to have taken a turn for busier, so I haven't kept you up to date. Let me see. I will add pics later, I know a visual is much more descript than my short explanations.

We finished priming and painting the rear exterior wall of the coop. We have post holes dug, and posts and supports sunk for a small chicken run. As time and funds allow this summer we will get a bigger run in place.

Our veggie garden has taken shape. I got some really cool hinges frames from a local guy that are great for tomatoes, eggplants and peppers. How I wish we could find more. John will be busy soon helping me get some more frames together. Let me see, to list off what has been planted...a few basils, 5 varieties of tomatoes(Early girl, Brandywine, Cherry, Roma, hmmmmmmmmm.....and another kind that has slipped my mind), dark purple eggplant, turnips, a few varieties of pole beans, sugar snap peas, zinnias, carrots, cucumbers, corn, green peppers, sunflowers, beets, asparagus. We still need to build the bed around the asparagus and the strawberries. The purple and green bush beans are not in yet, and a batch of garden peas and a variety of radishes .....starting to get nervous, but it will happen, all in good time. And I would like to get a few berry bushes in. I have been looking at blueberries, raspberries, and cherry trees. we will see what I come up with.

Our last batch of chicks(that some how I have no pictures of still) are enormous and about 6 weeks old. I really need to get pics of these, they are so cute, Partridge cochins....very small with feathered legs and feet. Our last batch of chicks were all bantams. They will be good for the younger children to handle.

To do list on coop....

  • Prime ceiling of porch
  • paint ceiling of porch gloss white
  • make sure all eves have been fully gloss painted
  • cover 3 showing nails on roof with asphalt caulk
  • trim shingles on front and rear edge of roof
  • find razor knife and scrape paint off windows
  • finish installing run posts and supports
  • attach fenced run to coop with pop door trim
  • lash run fencing to posts
  • install threshold on human doorway
  • install and prime and paint vertical doorway stop
  • figure out what trim needs to be acquired for outside of coop

No comments:

Post a Comment